Wednesday, May 18, 2011

I will never run a marathon.

I have never run a marathon.

I don't intend to, either.

But these last few months has felt a little like a really, reeealllyy long race. It started off really well, and then I was just plugging along, trying to do all the right things, and here lately, I've been struggling a little bit, tired of the race, and ready to just get to the finish line, already.


This is how I imagine it must be for a marathoner. Unless, of course, *I* happened to be the one running the marathon, and then it would involve a lot of throwing up, crying, and swearing that my shoes are tied too tightly, and the sun is in my eyes, and that I have to stop and go potty, and THAT'S the reason I'm throwing up and crying... after, um, only a mile and a half. ;)



I know I could never run 26.2 miles, but today I relished in the journey that I HAVE been on. And when I went to my Weight Watcher's meeting today, and stepped on the scale, I saw that my grand total of weight I've lost is 26.2 pounds. Coincidence? Irony? I don't know, but I felt like it was a victory in a different way.

So, 26.2 pounds. And I know, compared to some people that is not a whole lot. For me, it's huge. Sometimes its been hard, and sometimes its been boring, and sometimes? Well, sometimes, its just a giant pain in the @$$.

But it's proving to be worth it. Because not only do I not instantly despise every picture that someone takes of me, but I feel better. And I'm healthier. And as the child of a father that died at 41 years of age due to a massive heart attack... getting healthy should be my number one priority.

And not just looking good in my jeans. But I won't say that it's not a huge bonus.

I want to be around for a long time for my kids and my husband, and get to experience, as a parent, all the things that my Dad had to miss.

Because life *is* a marathon... not a sprint. And I can do it, even when the sun is shining in my eyes, and my shoes are too tight, and I just want to stop and cry.




I will never run a marathon.

But today I felt like I'd come pretty close. :)

3 comments:

Jen said...

That is awesome. I am proud of you and the " marathon" you ran. How great. Can't wait to see you!!

Jen

Wendy said...

Awesome job!

Tracy said...

I lost my dad when he was 47 so I know what you mean. You look so great, keep up the good work! Congrats!