Monday, June 6, 2011

Why I love my new oven:

1. I love my new oven because unlike most everything else in my almost 20 year old house, it is actually NEW, and the former owners didn’t have a chance to muck it up or jerry-rig the stupid thing.

2. I love my new oven because it is a miracle of cleanliness. It was a huge pain to go through a few weeks without any oven at all, but the flip side of that is that I didn’t have to clean the old one. I highly recommend this technique for cleaning your own oven.

3. It has BUTTONS, people! Not old-fashioned knobs like the previous one… PUSH BUTTONS! We’re feeling so affluent around here, we’re gonna cook up some Cornish game hens.

(“That way everyone gets their own little baby chicken on their own little baby plate…oh, and an endive salad. No, it’s absolutely pronounced ‘ahn-deev…”
Holla! I LOVE that commercial ;)

4. It has a ‘Delay start’. I’ve been told by a dear friend that that is a wondrous thing. Now I just have to figure out how to use it.

5. The clock/ timer on it actually works. No more flashing ‘00:00’… or for that matter, no more black electrician’s tape covering up the flashing light! (Hello? Have we met? I’m the Queen of Making Do! ;)

So feel free to come and spend the night again! You can stay in the family room, and you don’t even have to bring your sleep mask.


6. I love my new oven because I can finally cook and bake again!

Well, I mean, I haven’t actually done that yet… but I *could*. And I will.


Just as soon as I find tiny cans of Budweiser to make ‘Beer in the Butt Cornish Game Hens'. ;)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

The Levine's love that there is not a blinking light.

Kris Van Allen said...

just reading the title about an oven made me think of this story: my grandma's english was good, but growing up with russian as the main language (and the only one she knew when she came over on the boat at 14), and living in an ethnic part of KC with hispanic women sharing the care of the kids, her syntax was off a lot of the time. I remember once, her oven had started to act up, and would overheat the whole unit including the stovetop. thankfully she stopped using the oven part until she got a new one. the point of this story is the warning she gave to my dad one day when he walked into her kitchen: "don't use the oven...when you turn the oven on, it gets hot."