Sunday, March 4, 2012

Let's settle this once and for all...

I know that many things in a marriage should remain in the sanctity of the home, but there are certain things that are driving me crazy.

In the kitchen.

Yes, the kitchen. Get your minds out of the gutter, friends, and help me settle a debate that is going on around my house as of late.

For the last sixteen or so years, my wonderful husband has been a delightful help in the kitchen. I do most of the cooking, but he is a whiz on the grill, and is fully in charge of birthday dinners, usually. In addition, he is ‘Ah-may-zing’ at clean-up, and I totally appreciate how hard (and cheerfully) he works to undo the damage I inflict on our kitchen in a bout of baking or cooking for the week.

But still… there are just a COUPLE of things that make me just the slightest bit nuts, especially when he acts like he’s the male equivalent of ‘The Pioneer Woman’ in our little homestead.

I’ll never forget the first time he told me I should add oregano to my tuna salad. OREGANO?? Ew, ick. I told him there was no way in hell there would be oregano in my tuna salad. He proceeded to tell me that was the way his mother ALWAYS made it. That sealed the deal. Never has oregano made its way into my tuna salad. And spare me your delightful recipes that feature a delicious pairing of the two. Not happening. It’s a matter of principal now.

But this evening, he stooped to an all-time culinary low when he rinsed my cooked ground beef with water.

Didn’t just DRAIN it of the oil, but actually rinsed it in the colander. He’s done it before, and then argues with me when I get snippy about the fact that it completely strips the meat of any flavor…so I’m putting it out to the masses (meaning the 3 of you that still come back to read the blog occasionally)…


Am I right? I’m right, right??!?



And don’t even start with me about how I might be wrong. Because I’m wielding a knife, y’all.

4 comments:

Amanda Bindel said...

Interesting question -- I do rinse my ground beef (and chicken), but not with the colander. I just open the package and run a little water over it. I guess I'm in the middle of your two (not all that) extremes.

And I'm with you on the oregano and "mama's ways."

sarah. said...

No oregano, and no I don't rinse cooked ground beef. It seems like an extra dish to wash, and unlike you, I don't have any help in that department!

Wendy said...

No way on washing the ground beef. Doesnt that also cool it off and take away from the 'hot' meal you are cooking? Crazyness!

My rule on the 'thats the way my mom does it' is if he wants to cook it he can do it his way, otherwise it's my way.

Stacy said...

Ewwww! Remind me not to eat ground meat at your house if Phil has touched it. That is just way wrong. Yes, by all means drain all the fat off the meat but adding water is just...icky.