Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Spared no expense.

True confession time… I LOVE the movie, Jurassic Park. Love it. Just the original, though. Not the subsequent ones. (a little too much Jeff Goldblum in those… 'that's the essence of chaos theory'.)


I know it practically word for word, primarily because Phil and I used to watch it at least three times a week. It was one of the few movies that we never tired of. And since I know you’re just dying to know what the other ones were: Twister, Blazing Saddles, and Better Off Dead. And now aren't you just so impressed with our sophisticated movie palates?

In our defense, our movie-watching runs the gamut… or at least it DID, back when we didn’t have to pay $12 per movie ticket, $25 for popcorn and soda, and $50 for a babysitter, just to see ONE of the Oscar nominees. But Jurassic Park and the others are like the ‘bubble gum pop’ of movies. Catchy and kitschy, and perfect for background noise while folding clothes, or doing some other dreary chore.


And now? All three of our children are bona fide Jurassic Junkies, too. I wasn’t sure if they were too young to see it, but it became a moot point one Saturday afternoon when they saw part of it on basic cable while I was out running some errands. Clearly only one half of the parenting team had concerns about the potential of the children being traumatized by giant, man-eating dinosaurs.


And when I mentioned that we used to watch that movie all the time, the kids BEGGED us to be allowed to see the entire thing, too.

And true confession time… since I felt like the Compsognathus was already out of the bag (small dinosaur… cat-size), it was ME that went searching through old boxes in the closet to find the VHS tape, so that they could watch it for Pizza and Movie Night.

The result?

They are definitely our offspring because not only do they love it, watch it every chance they get, and rewind their favorite parts over and over, but they also quote it to each other incessantly as part of our ‘movie quote-along’ that we frequently play at dinnertime.

Just a few of our faves…

Mine: “Yeah, but John, if Pirates of the Caribbean breaks down, the pirates don’t eat the tourists!”

Phil’s: “Dodgson! Dodgson! We have Dodgson here! Nobody cares.”

The kids love to wait until we’re on a day trip in the car for this one:
‘Well… we’re back… in the car again.”



And of course, everyone's favorite: ‘WHERE’S THE GOAT?!?! ’
(This one happens to be especially funny when standing in the meat department at H.E.B.)


However today, I did have a brief pause... Is this movie too violent? Too graphic?

You be the judge… when I walked into my boy's room today, l discovered this on his desk, with a little hand-lettered sign that said, “Welcome to Jurassic Park!”









Wow. The soldiers armed and at the ready? The dinosaur?






Who happens to be making a quick snack out of the driver of the Jeep?!!





Part of me wondered if I should be disturbed by this little tableau…





But true confession time?







I think it's totally freaking awesome.

1 comment:

So this is Parenting said...

Brilliant! Nita and I also have some recurring movies and don't me started on quoting them...really a friend and I only spoke in movie lines/quotes for a solid four hours once. Clearly we were more entertained than the witnesses.