Sunday, December 28, 2008

'The book is better..."

To me, it is practically sacrilege to see a movie without first reading the book. I just can’t bring myself to do it. I remember slogging through Gone With the Wind in high school before I would let myself watch the movie. Same thing last year with Charlotte’s Web (or was it two years ago?). I read it to the kids in the weeks before the movie came out, and then we went to see it. And no matter how many times I’ve read that book, I just can’t get through the part where Charlotte dies, without crying. So if a movie comes out that was based on a book (especially a kids’ book), the book MUST be read first. It’s just kind of our rule. Okay, take that back… it’s kind of MY rule, and everyone else just falls in line.

So in that vein, I started reading The Tale of Despereaux to the kids tonight. The movie based on this book came out last week, and I know they want to see it… but I wanted to wait until after the craziness of the holidays was over before I began the story. And the bonus of waiting… by the time we are finished with the book, it may actually be at the dollar movie… Hah!

We are through the first six chapters, and Davis and Josie are already completely enchanted, and can’t wait to find out what happens next (oh heck, neither can I.) Libby, on the other hand, was too busy brushing my hair and putting barrettes in it while I was reading, to be too concerned about the big-eared little mouse. She did perk up, however, when she heard about the Princess, who oddly is named ‘Pea’ (we’re not very far in yet, maybe we’ll get an explanation later.) Libby nodded her head, and said matter-of-factly, “She must pee in her bed.” Yes, I’m sure that explains it. ;)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Actually Libby is right... the book offers no alternative explanation, so bed-wetting is the most reasonable conclusion for the naming of the princess... :-)

Anonymous said...

That is one of my favorite kids books. I read it to my 4th graders years ago and am going to read it to Allie and Ben before we see the movie, becasue the book is ALWAYS better. I do like Libby's take on the name pea!!

Jen
ps I don't know what happened to my other comment, but I pretty much cried at the letter Davis wrote.

Did you ever find guniea pigs??

Staci said...

Nope... still hunting for guinea pigs. I said that to someone the other day, and they said, "Omigod, Stace, you already lost one in your house?!"