Tuesday, December 15, 2009

If you're only as old as you feel... then, daaaamn.

Reasons I have been feeling old lately:

1. I just had a birthday, and I’m practically wedged in the butt crack of 40. I mean, I know 38 is two years away from it, but 40 is knocking at my door, trying to sell me something, and I’m cowering upstairs.

2. I am sleeping in Santa’s sleigh. Okay, it’s not *really* Santa’s sleigh, but Phil said it might as well be, considering the head of the bed is now raised up by an extra 5 inches, and it feels like we’re sleeping on a ski slope. And all of this is supposed to help my stomach issues, how?! GERD. What an ugly, ugly word.

3. The doctor mentioned that women often get GERD as they get older. So yeah, there’s that.

4. I finally figured out the texting program on my phone. I *could* text before, but it was very time intensive for me, hitting enter after each letter, and I wasn’t all that good at the lingo. You know, except for LOL. Which I did a lot. Not so much because you’re that funny, but more that I just didn’t have an hour to text you back.

5. Oh yeah… and these kids? My kids have a real knack for making me feel ancient, too. Davis told me the other day that his class got to visit their 5th grade ‘buddy class’ in their portable building.

Him: Mom, have you ever seen a portable? It’s really cool!
Me: I used to teach in a portable.
Him (dubiously): 2nd grade? Did you teach 2nd grade in a portable?
Me: Yeah, actually, I did.
Him: Wow. I wish I could have lived back in those old times.


6. Next spring will be 10 years since I have taught in a classroom, 16 years since I graduated from college, 20 years since I graduated from high school, and 24 years since I graduated from junior high. Not necessarily all that interesting, but I wanted to prove that I can still do the math.

7. Next week, I am planning on having coffee with one of my former students. Need I say more?

8. I keep forgetting things. Like to charge my cell phone. Or to call you back (sorry! I suck!) Or my passwords for various and sundry things… like websites, the garage door, and my debit card.

...Or forgetting that no one wants to hear about my GERD. Because only old people rattle off their litany of health issues and think that other people might be interested.

Sooo, I guess you don’t want to hear about my carpal tunnel syndrome?! ;)

4 comments:

sarah. said...

At least you weren't at the bowling alley today with all the seniors...not that I was there either or anything...I had a really good reason, okay?!

Rusty said...

I know it's cliche, but I'm actually a firm believer in "you're only as old as you feel." When I feel like I'm getting old, I typically change my routine. It seems to help remind me that there's plenty of life to be lived yet. :-)

Unknown said...

Oh, I sympathize! we can talk about health issues together anytime, sista. My back pain, your GERD (whatever that is?!), my headaches, your stomach issues...
BTW I went to HEB with one hoop earring yesterday, forgot to put the other one in. Now if that's not an old lady for you...

texasberries said...

I can totally relate....I feel as if I'm falling apart lately! I'm sure the 80 (yes, 80) extra baby pounds doesn't help either. I'm the only person on earth who GAINS weight after they have the baby! I love your blog!


Blog Archive