Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Mad about Mad Libs...

What’s not to love about Mad Libs? They’re absolutely delightful. Hysterically funny, at times, even. PLUS… they help kids learn the parts of speech. Bonus awesomeness, right there, my friends.

If you don’t know what a Mad Lib is, I’m sorry that you had a deprived childhood. They are the bomb. They sell them in little booklets, and you & a partner have to fill in the blanks in the story with the part of speech that is specified. Sometimes, it will ask you for something more specific than just ‘noun’ or ‘verb’ like… ‘name of a person in the room’ or ‘animal’ or ‘a large number’.

Anyway, your partner gives you the word, you write it in the blank (in pencil, if you don’t want to waste your whole book. Jeez… I thought EVERYONE knew that ;) and then you read aloud to the assembled group. And hilarity ensues.



Trust me.

Josie and Davis love them, even though they use the words ‘poop’ and ‘pee’ a little too often for my taste. Sometimes, they’ll tear them out of the book, and hang them on the refrigerator for the amusement of the general populace. Or whoever happens to be passing through the kitchen. Which means… usually me.

This is the one that is currently on the fridge, entitled, ‘Abracadabra’… (italic words are the ones *they* selected):

"I’ve always wanted to be a magician like The Great Avocado. So I decided to put on a magic show for everyone in Austin. The audience gasped as I pulled a guinea pig out of a hat, made a gigantic Josie disappear into short air, pulled 1,000 feet of worm out of my shoes, and sawed my pet Chihuahua in half. My magic act was so disgusting that I got a swimming ovation after I ran from a locked Six Flags with my feet tied behind my back. Finally it was time for the soft finale—I was going to turn someone into a duck. I brought Aimee up onstage and waved my wand."


And this is where it got dicey. And *I* got a little worried.


The story asked for an ‘exclamation’ to fill in the blank for the magic word. And my children had selected a very interesting word.

Nope… not ‘WOWZA!’ or ‘SHUT UP!’… or even ‘POOPY PANTS!’ (that’s a favorite.)







No… the word they had chosen was… ‘Takila!’. Yeah, it’s spelled phonetically, and no, your ears are not deceiving you.



The best exclamation that my kids could come up with was, ‘TEQUILA?!!’



Oh… (exclamation). That is not an (adjective) sign for when (name of someone in the room) goes to (a name of a university).


I’ll leave you to fill in the blanks. In pencil. ;)

1 comment:

jen said...

Too funny. Don't you just love how our kids make us proud :)

1 week!!!!!!!