Tuesday, February 16, 2010

What is the most beautiful sound in the world?

Lately the most beautiful sound in the world to me has been this:

"Huh…aw...puh.. Hop! Hop!
Hop on my log.
Who hops on my log?

Tuh…tuh… tap! Tap!
Tap on my log.
Who taps on my log?"


That, my friends, is the sound of my preschooler sounding out words… and READING!! I wasn’t sure when it would actually happen. Remember… she *is* kid #3. And she hasn’t exactly had the benefit of a lot of uninterrupted one-on-one time to do flashcards, practice her letters, and be drilled on sight words.

Josie was definitely our ‘early reader’, and progressed very quickly from sounding out words to being able to read entire books. I can still remember picking her up from her preschool class when she was just barely four. She would be perched on the teacher’s stool at the front of the room, balancing a book on her knees, reading to the class, while her teacher packed up everyone’s backpack at the end of the day. She always reported that as the ‘best part’ of her day.

But I guess the things that Libby has missed out on, she has made up for with a big brother and big sister that are able and *usually* willing to read to her. Now she’s returning the favor. And they are being sweet enough to sit and listen to her. In fact, I think they think it’s pretty amazing, too.


Hopefully their good reading habits will rub off on her. I already notice that she has the same knack for reading with expression that Josie has. Never has a kid read, “Who has the hat? The hen has the hat!” with such fervor.

One more big milestone for our family… one more sign that we no longer have babies around here (…and we won’t. I don’t think I could get *that* nostalgic!)


Me: Libby, I can’t believe you just read that to me! You’re getting so big. You’ll go to kindergarten next year, you’re learning to read, you already know how to swim… once you learn how to ride your bike without training wheels, I guess you’ll just be grown-up.




Libby: Well, I still need to learn to button my pants.

Good to know I’m still needed for a few things. ;)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Truly said like one of our children!

Jen said...

How cool that she is reading. Now get to work on helping her button her pants!!!

See you tomorrow!!!!!

Bonnie said...

Yay for Libby!
Megan still doesn't bother unbuttoning her pants, she just pulls them up and down the way she did when she was three.
You girls have fun this weekend!