Friday, October 17, 2008

Hitting the road... hard.

It's been a long day. Kids to school... kids picked up from school approximately an hour after they were dropped off (gotta get counted on the attendance sheet!)... van loaded... van unloaded (did we pack enough socks?!)... van re-loaded... last minute things taken care of... alarm set (that's right, potential burglars who read this blog! We have a top-notch alarm system... so don't even think about it!)... READY TO GO! Time to hit the road...only to return 10 minutes later because we'd forgotten something.

We also had to stop by Phil's office for him to finish up a couple of things, and of course, for the children to mildly entertain his co-workers for the first 5 minutes ('Omigosh! They're so cute!')... that is, until they get utterly annoying, spinning around in everyone's chairs, and 'borrowing' Post-It Notes off of people's desks ('Wow...shouldn't you guys be on the road by now?')

How far did we make it today? To Houston. To my mother-in-law's. Yep, that's it, and I'm already exhausted. I swear to God in Heaven that my son started this about 20 minutes after we left... "Are we there yet?" "How many more minutes?" "Mom! Why aren't you answering me?! Are we there YET?"

I wanted to throw something (or someone) out of the window. Instead, I clenched my teeth and said, "Not yet, honey" and downed a couple more Ibuprofen. Right around Bastrop, I was wondering what the hell we had gotten ourselves into. Was it really that expensive to fly?! (yes... yes, it was.)

Fortunately after lunch, everyone assumed the 'position'. Josie & Davis, glassy-eyed, with headphones on, watching something on the DVD player; Libby sleeping, with her thumb in her mouth, and LuLu tucked up under her chin; and me, asleep and drooling, with an incredible crick in my neck. Phil, of course, was thankful that everyone had finally just shut the hell up.

I have now had a glass and a half of wine (God bless my mother-in-law's little heart... always prepared!) and it is 4:30 in the afternoon ('it's 5:00 somewhere', right?!) The kids are watching yet another movie ('but we haven't seen this one!'), and Phil has already escaped to go get a 'haircut' and interestingly enough, there must have been a six-pack of Bud Light on sale at the salon.

Tomorrow, onward to New Orleans... and then on Sunday, to Orlando. Disneyworld or Bust, baby...

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

It's amazing how all the planning in the world still makes finally getting on the road a very long process. Hopefully the next couple of days are easier. Call me, I can't find your cell number.

Veronica said...

You're a great woman, Staci Linson! You certainly get the Mother of the Year Award and the Best Wife Ever Award. To drive all day with the kids then stop to see the mother-in-law. Praying you and your family get to Disney super fast and safe! (Super fast, pat, pat, pat, pat! - ala Little Einsteins)

sarah. said...

what I wanna know is what was so important that you had to go back and get?

sarah. said...

Okay, just because you're on vacation it doesn't mean you get to stiff your loyal blog readers! I'm sure something insanely funny is happening right now at this very moment...