Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Counting words... and counting... and counting...

Current Word Count: 18,345 words....... whew!

That officially means that I am about 37% of the way toward my goal of 50,000 words. Yep. Had to get the calculator out for that one. (I think that's right... math has never been my strongest subject! Correct me if I'm wrong, oh 'Great Learned Mathematicians'.)

Not sure if the book will actually be finished at 50,000 words, but the guidelines didn't say it had to be finished, just that it should be at least 50,000 words by midnight on November 30th. And then I can take my sweet time finishing it, I guess.

We'll have to play it by ear. My characters, much like willful children, keep saying and doing things I don't quite expect, and the story takes me off in a direction I had not anticipated.

Have I mentioned that I'm loving this? :-)

p.s. Several of you have asked me how I go about counting my words. It's pretty tedious and time consuming, and occasionally I'll lose my place and have to start over. That sucks. You know I'm kidding, right?!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Just keep plugging along because I will be so sad if this book never gets finished.

Jen

Staci said...

Oh my friend, it WILL be finished. Just not sure if 50,000 words will be its conclusion... it may be longer. I've put too much work into it to not finish it!

Anonymous said...

do you remember when we actually DID have to count our words in high school? I may just be old, but I remember counting for 250 word essays in English, that was real fun.


Blog Archive