Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Um... candles, anyone?!

Current Word Count: 6592 words

Okay, breathe, Staci…

Yesterday, when I went to drop Libby off at preschool, the school’s assistant director was in the parking lot, flagging down cars as they pulled in. Seems that for some reason, there is no electricity in the preschool building, and they had tried calling everyone (I didn’t get the message because I was in yoga) to let them know that there would be no preschool… I kind of tuned out the rest of the explanation (hey! I’ve got a lot on my mind right now!), but I perked up when I heard, “But it should be back on tomorrow. See you then!”

Now, don’t get me wrong… I love my kids. I love spending time with them. They crack me up on an almost daily basis. But I also like for them to go to school. I really like being able to run an errand or two, ALL BY MYSELF! I’m pretty sure it doesn’t make me a bad mom that I was disappointed that preschool was cancelled yesterday.

Libby was disappointed, too. She gets to go spend time with her friends and her teacher three mornings a week, and is always so excited when Tuesday morning arrives. So, no school? Hey, but that’s okay… I’m flexible… I can roll with the punches. Libby went with me to meet some girlfriends for lunch, and to run an errand. We had a fun lunch with the girls, and enjoyed our little break, but today it was BACK TO SCHOOL!

Right? Right?!!

Wrong. The assistant director just called. Still no electricity. Now, I’m irritated. Not at anyone in particular… just at the situation. I know… crap happens.

Personally, I think they should use it as a teaching lesson… Maybe have an impromptu ‘Pioneer Day’. The pioneers didn’t have electricity, either. What a great learning experience for our preschoolers. I think I’ll suggest it if the power is still out tomorrow.

2 comments:

Deb said...

While I have not had an emergency cancel but following the RRISD schedule and they either have early release or just a day off. Makes me so mad like--they are in pre-school what does it matter what the big kids do?

Abby only goes 3 days a week and I need that time. It is that or therapy and my child in school is cheaper :)

Anonymous said...

One day in understandable but 2 days, now that just isn't right. We all love our kids, but our time away is precious and we don't like it to be messed with :) Hopefully she will be in school tomorrow.


Blog Archive