Sunday, February 8, 2009

Gentlemen... program your DVRs...

I have always been a ‘Seinfeld’ girl. I loved that show. I watched practically every episode, and those that I didn’t see the first time around, I caught in re-runs more than once. I have quoted them, referred to them in random conversations, and oftentimes, nobody other than another Seinfeld junkie will get the obscure references to marble ryes, Vandalay Industries, and of course… ‘No soup for you!’

But when it comes to other T.V. shows, especially sit-coms, I’m not a big follower. I might catch an occasional episode of things here and there, but nothing that is ‘must-see T.V.’ for me (or Phil, either, for that matter).

Until, that is, this weekend. I have a ‘new show’ that I plan to DVR each week. Well, it’s technically not new… in fact, this show is in its fourth season, but I had never seen it. The show? It’s called ‘How I Met your Mother’, and it is hilarious! How have I missed it?! For four years?!

A friend of mine has been a huge fan since the beginning of the show, and loaned me the first season on DVD last week, when we were at her house for Bunco. The subject of DVDs came up when the whole gang decided to try out her new ‘Bollywood Booty’ exercise/ dance DVD.

Well, by ‘try out’, I mean we watched it while we sat on the couch, drinking wine, wondering about the move called, ‘The Elk’, so named because its ‘boo-tay’ twitching movement mimics the mating dance of the elk. C’mon, do you really think I’d make that up? Check it out on Amazon.com.

Anyway, I digress… as usual. ;)

So I borrowed the set of DVDs (NOT the Bollywood Booty ones), and on Saturday night, after we got the kids to bed, Phil and I watched the pilot episode. And then the next episode. And the next one. And the whole time, we were cracking up. Or should I say, we were LOL’ing? I might even go so far as to say I was LMAO… even ROFLMAO! Not since Seinfeld have I found a show so humorous, so wry, and so… just downright fun.

And 8…yes, EIGHT episodes later… (shameful, I know), it was 1:00 a.m., and I was still giggling about the ‘cockamouse’, the Slutty Pumpkin, and just about anything and everything that Barney (played by Neil Patrick Harris) says and does. This show is… dare I say it?

Legendary. ;)

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

awesome!

okay, so i read your blog religiously, but this particular one was so great i just HAD to comment! i LOVE LOVE LOVE how i met your mother!! i think it is awesome that you are now hooked!

Anonymous said...

WE love that show!! It is one of our favorites!! So glad that you are hooked. We also really like The Big Bang Theory, which airs right before HIMYM on Mondays.

Jen

Anonymous said...

Awesome! I can't believe you watched 8 episodes! I'd better get Season 2 ready!

- Kelli

Anonymous said...

I love that show too! But, I have to admit, I started watching it because of Allyson Hannigan - she used to play on my other "guilty pleasure" t.v. show, "Buffy the Vampire Slayer." You can stop laughing now. :) (and yes, I have the DVDs if you want to catch up! LOL)