Friday, February 6, 2009

Mommy T.V.

If you were to come to my house in the middle of the day and find my television on, odds are favorable that it is tuned to CNN. Some people watch ‘The View’ or ‘Ellen’ religiously… others watch soap operas… I watch CNN Headline News. Usually I listen to it as I’m doing other things because that stupid ticker across the bottom is so darn distracting.

No, I don’t think I’m better than you or more well informed just because I watch this almost exclusively during the day (okay, well maybe I’m a *little* better. Hah! ;)

I just like watching it, especially if the kids are at school and I’m at home by myself. I want to know what’s going on in that big crazy outside world while my kids are away from me. Ever since a certain September day in 2001, I have become a news junkie. I refuse to put in a DVD or a tape while the kids are in school. It just feels unsettling to me, and I feel disconnected with the outside world. Weird, I know! (Trust me, that’s just the tip of the iceberg. I’m weird in sooo many other ways, as well. ;)

Speaking of the television (which, yes, we were…), Libby has been on T.V. restriction for a few days. Don’t ask me what for because I can’t remember, and the restriction was instituted by Daddy while I was gone all weekend. I think it was not cleaning her room? Or not being quiet at quiet time? Or maybe she was acting like a 4 year old?!! (ahem…ahem) No Disney channel, no Nickelodeon, no movies… nada, zip, zilch.

So yesterday afternoon after the kids were home from school and having a snack, I flipped on the television. And Libby proceeds to run over and plop down onto the couch…

Davis (using his kindest voice… not!): “Libby, you’re not allowed to watch T.V.!! Mom, she can’t watch!”
(they are always so helpful in enforcing each other's punishments!)

Me: “It doesn’t matter. I’m turning it on ‘Mommy’ T.V. anyway.”

Libby (clapping her hands): “Oh goody! I love the news!”

So she is either genetically predisposed to like the news, or she’s looking for any port in a vast 'Disney-less' storm. If she can’t have Hannah Montana, she’ll settle for Anderson Cooper.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think she probably loves the news, because she is just like you!!

Jen

Shanda Boatright said...

I am so with you on this Staci. I am a news junkie myself. I am also addicted to shows like Nightline, 20/20 and 60 minutes. I hardly ever get to watch them in 'real time' thank goodness for my DVR!

Kris with a K said...

Um....I'll take Anderson over Hannah any day!

My TV is on all day too, but on TRU tv, which used to be Court TV. I'm a junkie for the cases they cover. Then at 2 I change to FOX and get my fill of the tv court shows like Judy! lol!