Monday, July 19, 2010

Wiped out.

I have a guilty pleasure.

I mean, other than eating a spoonful of ice cream straight out of the Bluebell carton once or twice a day. Because I wouldn't do that. Ever.

My guilty pleasure... nay.. my somewhat shameful secret...




I can't get enough of 'Wipeout'.



And I'm not talking about the the Surfaris' hit song, with the drum solo that is impossible to duplicate if you are even remotely uncoordinated. (p.s. if you can do it, you MUST demonstrate the *very* next time you see me. I will hold you in the highest esteem. And I might even give you a bite of my ice cream.)


The 'Wipeout' to which I am referring is a T.V. show which features an insane foam obstacle course that contestants must meaneuver (or blunder) their way through to try to win $50,000.

This show... it's all about the thrill of victory. The agony of defeat. Regular men and women taking a chance to step forward and be heroes for that one brief moment in time.



Plus they get punched in the face. A lot.


It feels so wrong, but I just can NOT look away when those folks head across the 'Sucker Punch' wall. They are just minding their business, focusing on the boxing gloves popping out at intervals along the wall, threatening to send them ass over teakettle, straight into the mud.

And it happens. Every. Single. Time.



And I laugh. Every. Single. Time.




I can't help it. I laugh the first time it happens... and then the next three times they play it. In super slow-mo.

'The Sweeper'... 'The Motivator'... and let us not forget 'The Big Balls'. Oh, the Big Balls are the best!! (wow. That was just weird.) When they have to jump across those giant red bouncy balls to try to get across the course, without sending themselves bouncing and flailing into the drink?

Well, I'm in hysterics by this point, hands over my mouth, giggling like a crazed clown who's sucked down too much helium.

I'm not proud of it. I'm actually amazed that someone hasn't been seriously hurt doing these obstacle courses.

So why do I watch?

I think it must tap into some deep, hidden belief system that I have. Mainly, that people who act ridiculous and/or stupid should be publicly humiliated.

And potentially? Punched in the face.



Okay... maybe it's not so *hidden*. ;)

3 comments:

Bonnie said...

Drew and the kids LOVE to watch that show! me, I always have to cringe when they get hit so hard, those hits would absolutely KILL me.

Doug said...

It's been a few (several, several) years, but .... Prepare to hear a Wipe Out drum solo the next we meet .... 8-) Your ice cream is mine .... Ha!

Sarah said...

Wipe out is my absolute favorite show! I spend the entire time gasping and laughing. I DVR it so I can watch it over again later.

My favorite though is the Japanese version on Spike. That's even more fun then the US version. They scream more...