Monday, January 31, 2011

Songs that disturb me now that I have really listened to their lyrics…

1. The song, “If You Like Pina Coladas” by Jimmy Buffett. Have you really LISTENED to this song? I mean, apart from the chorus?? I never had. I’d always just sing along when I heard it. Because really, who DOESN’T like pina coladas? Or getting caught in the rain? Well, as long as it’s a warm rain. And I have an umbrella.

This song is basically about this guy that is sick of his girlfriend and decides to answer a personal ad. Oh, and he just happens to be looking at the paper while he’s in BED with his girlfriend. But whatever, right?!

So he answers the ad of the girl who likes pina coladas and rainstorms. Oh, and she hates yoga, too. AND only expects the man she hooks up with to have half a brain. Which CLEARLY… this guy fits the bill.

He goes to meet the girl so they can ‘make love on the dunes at midnight’, and discovers that it is his girlfriend that took out the ad. They see each other at the bar, and… get this… they LAUGH about the whole thing.

Because isn’t that exactly what *you’d* do in that scenario?





2. “Don’t You Want Me?” by The Human League.

I think this song should be considered the ‘Anthem of Stalkers’.

You know, like the line… “But don't forget it's me who put you where you are now
And I can put you back down too”


And the chorus? That super catchy chorus? Why don’t you want me baby? Oh, maybe it’s because I’m a CRAZY-@$$ ex-boyfriend?? Who threatens in the oh-so-catchy chorus…

That his ex-love who has changed her mind “had better change it back or we will both be sorry!”

Creepy…

So, friends, tell me… any songs out there that are super-creepin’ you out?

2 comments:

Ashley W said...

The new Top 40 Song "Grenade". Its disgusting! Its pretty much a guy listing all the ways he will kill himself for a girl who doesn't care about him. If it was so creepy I would put money on the fact that in the next 3 months their is a national news story about a guy killing himself over a girl and including the lyrics in his suicide note. YUCK!

Bonnie said...

I always liked both of those songs! Don't think I've ever heard the Jimmy Buffett version though - I think the original guy was Rupert Holmes (maybe the name explains the song?) RUPERT! one of the worst boy names ever.