Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Pajama carpool

I would like to tell you that I get up before the kids every morning to get ready, get dressed, ‘fix’ my hair, and put on makeup. I would like to tell you that I’m ready to start the day with a smile on my face, a ‘go-get-em’ attitude, and a song in my heart. I would like to tell you to stop that damn laughing.

In truth, Phil has been taking the kids to school most mornings since the weather has gotten colder, and I hang out in my jammies until it’s time to take Libby to preschool at 9:30. But this morning, he left early for a meeting, and also because of all the ‘ice’ we got last night…. (Okay, now *I’m* cracking up! For my faraway friends, big hubbub on the news about a potential ice storm, school being cancelled, etc. This morning… yes, it’s cold…27 degrees…but no ‘delays’!) Anyway, I digress.

That left me to take the kids to school this morning, and it was too cold to walk (yes, we DO walk in the warmer months). The kids might be okay… they’re resilient… but I walk with them, and I simply refuse to be that cold. Why do you think I moved back home from Colorado?!! Remember me? The winter weenie?!

But because everyone else was driving their kids to school, as well, I *knew* the car rider line would be a nightmare. So I was rushing around, trying to get out the door early to beat the rush, trying to get everyone in the van, homework and lunches in backpacks… “Where is your coat?” “Where is your folder?” “Why are you wearing FLIP FLOPS?!!!”

So, what I’m saying, is that I didn’t have a chance to get all dolled up. Heck, I barely had a chance to put in my contact lenses (which are kind of a MUST when driving, especially if you saw my nightmarish prescription!), but when I did put in my contacts, I caught a glimpse of what I was wearing in my full length mirror in my bathroom. It wasn’t pretty.

I was wearing: hot pink pajama pants with snowmen all over them…a bright orange & brown Hairy Man Festival coordinator t-shirt from the festival a few years ago (I’d spilled milk on my matching hot pink snowman pajama top… I DID match when I went to bed last night!)… a pair of slip-on sneakers with no socks…one of Phil’s fleece jackets that I just grabbed (and if you haven’t met my husband, he’s an ‘XXL’ kind of guy… and I’m kind of a ‘medium’ size gal.) My hair was pulled back in a clippie… and I had on absolutely no make-up.

Once again, not pretty. Not even close. Actually, I was breathtaking… in that ‘Holy hell… you scared me!’ kind of way. So I dropped the kids off at school, and the whole time, I was quietly bargaining with God. You know…saying a few little prayers. That we would get to school safely. That we would get to school on time.

And most importantly that I wouldn’t run out of gas or have car trouble. I’m not sure how my pink pajama pants would have stood up to the weather… or the horrified stares of onlookers. ;)

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

You need to takes pics and post them when you write about stuff like this. I never know when you're kidding. Can you do a re-enactment?

Hugs!
-V

Staci said...

V- I want people to ENJOY my blog... not run screaming. And this is the gospel truth about my morning attire. Add to that the Funyuns... voila!

I'm positively irresistible. ;)

Anonymous said...

The last thing you needed to worry about was how your pants would stand up to the weather. You should have been worried about how cold your once dislocated toe was going to be because you were probably wearing flip-flops!

By the way, I love Funyuns!

Anonymous said...

The above anonymous did not understand what slip on shoes were.

What a maroon! And yes, Bugs Bunny is my favorite cartoon.

Anonymous said...

I have been known to only be in my pj's to drop Allie off, with the hope that nobody sees me. It is just more important for me to sleep longer and take a shower with no one home than it is to get up early!!

Jen

Kris with a K said...

Stace.... we say 'what a maroon' all the time. and sing the 'oh, brunhilda, you're so wwwwuuuvvvvwyyy'....!

Even when they get older, that shower is a tough one to get in. I have DH and 2 teenage boys to get thru a shower in the morning (thankfully DD still showers at night)!

Oh, ps....Leander ISD was 2 hours late yesterday. Our cars were covered with 1/4" of solid ice. That was the best 2 hours I've had in a long time!

smiles!

Anonymous said...

Honestly, you could've gone shopping dressed like that. Just look around, next time you go out and about. The stores have become giant pajama parties, complete with fuzzy house-shoes.

And I kid you not when I say that in 07 and 08, I saw pajamas at the high school graduations.


Blog Archive