Wednesday, August 12, 2009

I can't make this stuff up.

Today in the car, Josie was playing a word game with Libby where she gives her a word, and Lib tries to figure out the first letter of the word.

Libby's new favorite thing is ‘sounding out’ words, and she walks around all the time now, saying things like, “Huh, huh, huh… ‘H’. House starts with an ‘H’.”

So, we were out on a sock-buying errand (Seriously. Not sure how it happened, but we woke up this morning, and Davis doesn’t have a sock to his name.) We had made our sock purchase (suh, suh... sock starts with an 'S'), and were headed back out to the van.

Libby: Learn me some more letters. (admittedly very hick, but pretty adorable in her little 4 year old voice)

Josie: Okay, Libby, what does ‘Terrific’ start with?

Tuh, tuh… ‘T’!

Good job! What does ‘Pig’ start with?

Puh, puh… ‘P’!

Exactly right! What does ‘Kick’ start with?

Kuh, kuh… ‘F’! (She doesn’t always hit the nail on the head the first time ;)

Nooooo…. I said ‘Kick’. It’s not fuh… it’s kuh. Not fuh…kuh.

Libby (getting a little confused): Fuh, kuh? Fuh, kuh?

No! I said… NOT fuh…KUH!

At this point, I decide an intervention is necessary, and I quickly point to the pretty bird (grackle) out in the parking lot at Wal*Mart in an effort to distract them. ‘Oh, wow! Look at that awesome bird!! Isn’t it awesome? It’s a buh, buh, bird!!’

Honestly, though, I’m pretty sure it’s not the first time somebody’s shouted ‘Fuh…kuh!’ in the Wal*Mart parking lot.

2 comments:

Stacy said...

Adam asked what I was laughing about. Since Andrew is still up, I couldn't answer him. Hysterical!

jen said...

Well Libby did ask Josie to help learn me some more letters in her cute hick way, so they were practicing words that are used quite often in hickville!! Too funny!!!

Jen