Monday, August 10, 2009

Take me out to the ballgame...



Last night, I finally made it to my first Round Rock Express baseball game. I was very shocked at how much I liked it.

As in… ‘I’m not really ready for the game to be over, but it probably should end quickly because if one of you kids stands up in front of me one more time while I’m trying to watch the game, I will gladly sell you for two wooden nickels and a SnoCone’.

I remember going to a Rockies game at Coors Field, and not really enjoying it as much. Of course, I could possibly have had a hangover.

It was back in that first year of living in Denver, right after we’d gotten married. I think we seriously felt it was our duty to drink our way through LoDo and learn all the finer points of living in our new city. (For example… the sun shines most of the time in Denver. And it’s really bright. Especially when you have a hangover.)

Anyway, this was my first experience at a Minor League baseball game, and after I recovered from the shock of the cost of our ‘ballpark dinner’: 3 hot dogs + 2 corn dogs + 4 bottles of water + a diet soda = $46.00. (Choking a little just thinking about it…)

The Express won the game, the kids got to run the bases after the game, we took lots of pictures, we briefly lost a child (*but no worries… we found her*), we saw ‘Spike’ the mascot, and all three kids got a free backpack since it was ‘Kids Night’ at the ballpark. Pretty cool.

On the way home, the kids were totally hyped up about baseball. They had big plans. They were going to go out first thing this morning to play ball.

They assigned positions. They decided on a batting order. They realized that we didn’t have enough baseball gloves for everyone, but Josie said it didn’t make a difference. “Mittens will work just fine!” (I wish I were kidding, people.)

Last order of business? Coming up with a mascot for their team. They tossed around a lot of different names.
Longhorns?
Bulldogs?
Lions?
Tigers?
And bears, oh my? (*sorry)

Nope. None of those seemed to work for them. I guess they just didn’t have that certain ‘je ne sais quoi’ (yes, I had to Google that. Shut up.) They finally decided on the perfect name for their little rag-tag, mitten- wearing, three player, backyard baseball team.




And I just have to tell you that I can’t wait to put on my jersey in support of the ‘Saber-Toothed Squirrels’.

Go Squirrels!

4 comments:

jen said...

I can't wait to see the pictures of the Saber-tooth squirrel baseball team with their mittens on :)

Jackson Family said...

You should have gone Monday night! We went because it was $1 hot dog and soda night! I don't dare tell your brother that you just attended your first game and you've lived in Austin for 5 years!

Kris with a K said...

that is a RIOT! what creative kids you have. I love the Express games. So much fun.

Stacy said...

I am actually giggling.