Monday, August 31, 2009

Week Two, people...

You can tell it’s the second week of school.

Last week, the kids got up without any fuss. They were excited. They were energized. They got dressed, made their beds, ate their breakfast, brushed their teeth, and zipped out the door on their little scooters to get to school on time, if not just a little bit early. ‘Cause that’s just how we roll, my friends.

Well, that’s how we roll the first week. This morning? Different story.

I heard yelling upstairs this morning when I walked in the door from my walk (yes, I’m walking now at 5:30 a.m. I’m either very dedicated or a couple bricks shy of a full load.)

Josie & Davis were both already up, half-dressed, still looking pretty groggy (so long, bright eyes and bushy tails of week 1), and were already arguing. *sigh

“Mommy! Davis threw toothpaste in my hair!”

Um… really?

Sure enough, there was a big glob of toothpaste right smack on the side of Josie’s head. Blue, gooey, and minty.

At this point, Davis is yelling… ‘it was an accident I didn’t mean to Mommy there was water in the cap of my toothpaste and I had to get the water out of the cap so I was shaking the toothpaste and it was an accident and some of it flew out and some of it got in her hair and it was an accident I didn’t mean to!!!’

Did he mention that it was an accident? So not only is there toothpaste in Josie’s hair, but there is also liquefied toothpaste on the counter and floor. Gross.

Thank God I’d already been up for my walk, and had my early morning ‘therapy session’ with a friend. Because if they’d woken me up with the yelling, not to mention the toothpaste in the hair, I’m just not sure I could have handled it with sweetness and light.

As it was, I wiped the toothpaste out of her hair with a wet rag, handed one of those ‘I love them so very much… best invention ever’ Clorox wipes to Davis to clean up the mess, and realized that it definitely is NOT the first week of school anymore.

As they were rounding the corner on their scooters to get to school, I realized that I wasn’t entirely sure if they ever got around to actually brushing their teeth.

But at least I can say that they both smelled minty fresh.

2 comments:

jen said...

Just think this all happened and then you got to send them to school :) I say all is good!!!

Renee said...

Good for you walking in the mornings! I'm almost inspired to do something similar. Almost. :) And, I HEART Clorox wipes!!!