Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Today's the day!


So today was the day. The day. THE DAY! Can I get a ‘hallelujah’, my friends?!!

Today a heavenly chorus sang when the doors to my children’s school opened after 11 weeks (not that I’m counting or anything), and my children walked into their lovely school (not that I’m biased or anything), followed by their very happy mommy (not that I’m dancing or anything), and went in to their classrooms to be greeted by their new teachers and friends (not that I’m drinking or anything… oops. Did I say drinking?)

Well, truth be told, a celebratory drink was definitely in order because we were ALL excited to be back at school. We (and I mean ‘me’) are a schedule lovin’ bunch, and all those uninterrupted hours of being stuck in the house because it’s too hot to be outside, only to be interrupted by all those hours of being in an over chlorinated neighborhood pool, only to dry off enough to head to one of those free movies that we already have on DVD, but watching them in a cool, darkened overcrowded theater with a $17 bucket of popcorn is just too good to pass up.

But, it was a fun summer. It was a busy summer. It was a hotter than Hades summer, to be perfectly honest, and I am eternally grateful for central air conditioning and the magic of a little thing called a DVR.

Other things I was grateful for this summer included:
1. SPF 50 sunscreen,
2. sleeping in a little
3. the library
4. good friends who were always willing to swap kids for playdates
5. friends with fabulous new swimming pools ;)
6. no homework
7. day trips
8. day camps
9. anything I could make for dinner that didn’t require turning on the oven
10. fireworks
11. a certain little boy learning to do a flip off of the diving board (he’s so proud!)
12. throwing away the swim floaties b/c my 4 year old can SWIM now! (totally yay!)
13. occasional periods where all 3 kids played nicely together without bickering
14. red wine… (let’s not get all Kumbayah, people!)

So… summer. Been there, done that. Got the tan lines. And now it’s time to get back into the swing of things. They’re ready. I’m ready. Some of those summer days seemed to just crawl by, but today, walking out of the school, I commented that I couldn’t believe how fast the time went.

And I felt just the teensiest bit wistful. (Not that I’m crying or anything... sniff, sniff*)


**p.s. Those apples in the picture are actually apple cupcakes. I like to channel Martha Stewart in my spare time, and when it comes right down to it... would YOU rather have an apple or a cupcake?! Um, no brainer! ;)

1 comment:

jen said...

I wish I could have been as happy as you were when school started :)

Loved the cupcakes.

Jen

WE NEED TO CHAT SOON!! IT HAS BEEN FOREVER!!!