Monday, September 21, 2009

2 frickin' decades ago...

20 years ago...

1. It was 1989.

2. I was a senior in high school. At this point, the junior high kids at least had their own 'wing' of the school.

3. I was a cheerleader. Like, OMIGOD! Totally. (I know... huge shocker.)
Bonus feature: I had really long hair and big bangs, too. (That was "BANGS", hon.)

4. I had just received my acceptance letter from The University of Texas. This, in turn, touched off a quite serious case of 'Senior-itis'.

5. My class was in the final stages of our preparation for our LEGENDARY (by the standards of SHS)senior trip to Florida.

6. I was excited to get my mums for homecoming. And if you didn't know it, the phrase, "everything's bigger in Texas" ALSO applies to homecoming mums. They are a thing of obnoxiously tacky beauty.
If you're not from Texas, and you know not of the 'mum phenomenon', I'll someday post a blog just about that, just for you! (complete with pictures! Egad!)

7. My best friend? Michelle. Michelle, are you reading this?! ;)

8. I DID have a boyfriend my senior year, and I kept him around until after I graduated.
*Sidenote: I decided later, however, that we should 'take a break', and if that decision just HAPPENED to coincide with my move into my co-ed dorm at UT... well, sue me. ;)

9. Class I hated the most? Chemistry. I hated it. The class, itself, wasn't bad... it was just me and two junior guys in the class, and the teacher was super nice (yes, I know, you did the math. There were just three of us in the class. Weird, huh?), I just hated the subject matter.
All that measuring or something could potentially explode?! Exactly why I refused to take Home Ec.

10. My car was a Datsun 510. I don't know the year, but I just Googled it, and they weren't even made past, like, 1973, so it was old when I got it. It had already hit one deer and one cow by the time it was mine. (two words, people... 'small town')
Oh, and another two words: 'Bike riding'. I did alot of that.

So what about YOU?! Where were you two decades ago?

*Final sidenote: Oh, and if you are going to tell me that you were on a field trip with your 1st grade class, I'll *politely* ask you to refrain from commenting. ;)

8 comments:

sarah. said...

hmmm...let's see...
6th grade
"intermediate" school. (It's where they send you before jr. high in the big city.)
purple metallic glasses
black & red flannel shirts
red Converse high tops
(wait, plaid & Chuck Taylors are totally in now!)
ooohh... and units

I comment only because I was not in first grade ;)

jen said...

I was junior. Just got my braces off. I was the teacher's aid for Biology and had to clean off all the pigs before they got disected. (very smelly). No boyfriend. I was working for the Driver's Education program and loving it. My BFF was Lina. . .
Looking back, I realy don't miss that time that much.

Can't wait for 15 years

Tara said...

20 years ago, I was in my even smaller town (my school had K-12 in the SAME BUILDING) and really missing life in Salado!!! And I think my hair was bigger than anyone's. Ever. :) Good times!

Laurie K said...

When you hit 75 in that Datsun, it had a ridiculous make-you-wish-for-a-jogging-bra shimmy. But between 80 to 90 it ran smooth as silk.

I'm sure you knew that, though ;)

Staci said...

Laurie,

Sadly, I barely need a jogging bra even when I'm jogging...I never worried about a shimmying beater car! LOL

Anonymous said...

hahah. Yes, I read all of your blogs. It's funny you posted this. I was just looking at pictures from high school this weekend. I got a big kick out of reading all of the comments on the back of your pictures. Of course I'll always be your be fri. Remember "I love weed"? Weed was your code word for one of your love interests...although I can't remember which one now. I'll never forget trying to explain that to my mom. She thought for sure you were on drugs. Those were the days. Can't believe it's been 20 years. Michelle

Bonnie said...

wow, I was a senior in high school, still didn't know where I was going to college. played trumpet in the marching band and LOVED football season in south Texas. My hair was so poofy, it was called a tiara on top (bangs) and I think we sometimes wore knee-high panty hose with jeans and slip on shoes!!! yuck!!! Then when it was time to change for band practice after school, we had those lines on our legs from the hose band being tight, nice look.

Stacy said...

I was a freshman at UT. Trekking all over those 40 acres and dreading astronomy. The professor actually expected us to do math. I got a 53 on the first test. I had never scored so low on a test before in my life. So despite the fact that, with the curve, my 53 was a B+, I dropped the class.