Friday, September 11, 2009

Spinnin' round and round...

Holy crapola.

Today was one of those days, people. You know the ones. The kind where you're running around like an elephant in a peanut factory? (Or a seriously PMS'ing woman in a chocolate shop?!!) You know...flattening anyone that gets in your way, trumpeting as you go.

That was me today... up at 5 a.m. to walk, got the two older ones off to school, showered, dressed, etc. to get up to school by 7:45 to help with Enrichment hour in second grade, helped 23 kiddoes construct mini scrapbooks, had a few stamping mishaps, got glue on one of my favorite shirts, and seriously felt like I needed a cocktail or a Xanax (or possibly both) when it was all over at 9:30.

Then, off to two different Pay-Less stores to buy new tap shoes for Libby's first day of dance. Um, yes. The class was today. And I'm JUST getting around to getting the shoes. Don't judge me. No, really. Stop it.

Oh, and did I mention that it was Grandparent's Day at school? Soooo, Mom and I picked up lunch for the kids, and I dropped her off to have lunch with Josie & Davis in the cafeteria (bless her heart!), while I drove Libby to dance, dropped her off, snapped a few pictures, and then drove back to school to get my mother, who at this point was staring down the boy that Josie had told her was giving her a hard time in reading circle. Easy there, Nema.

Back to pick up Libby from dance, then we went and grabbed a quick bite of lunch, headed home to change Libby out of her leotard, and then went back up to school to pick up the kids because, MIRACLE OF ALL MIRACLES, it was pouring rain (of course, at school pick-up time, which makes for a completely chaotic scene.)

Then, off to the doctor after school for the FluMist vaccine for the kids, home for a quick snack, and then over to the community center for Josie's twirling lesson.

And all without caffeine (because remember I'm the nut-job that has given up my daily dose of crack... ugh.)

So, it's now 5 o'clock in the afternoon. I've been up for 12 hours, I'm tired and I'm cranky, I put approximately 1300 miles on the van today, I still need to pack for an overnight trip for all of us tomorrow night, and sometimes I wonder why I can't just stay home, under the covers, watching t.v., and let someone else handle it all for just a bit.

And I know I'm not alone. We all have days like today. Especially moms. No offense to the dads out there... they do plenty, but they're not typically the ones pulling carpool duty, driving to dance class, and volunteering to be smeared with glue stick by a bunch of overzealous 7 year old scrapbookers. ;)

And just when I think I'm ready to bury my head under my pillow in exhaustion, Davis hands me his 'Newsbook', which is a 2 way letter writing book between kids and their parents each week. They write a letter to us... we write a letter back to them. (I'm guessing you probably 'got it' without the explanation... sorry ;)
And his letter was this...



Oh yeah... *that's* why I do this.

3 comments:

Wendy said...

I hear ya! And I'm only managing one kiddo that experiencing the terrible tantrum twos 7 months early. How are we supposed to do this without the caffeine?

Anonymous said...

Well at least you know you efforts were appreciated today!
Hopefully you can relax this weekend.
Jen

Unknown said...

the "gluing and stuff" line made me smile. Thats so cute.