Tuesday, April 6, 2010

If only all of our highlights could be set to music.

I admit it. I so wanted to hate it. I *wanted* to.

Alas, I couldn’t.



I think we all know by now my aversion to most things related to college basketball. Everything that is, except for ‘One Shining Moment’. The absolute best part of the season… of March Madness… of the entire tournament.

Not only do I wait and wait for the game to FINALLY end each year, just so I can watch it (and get chills)… whenever I feel like the season is dragging on interminably (doesn’t it, though?), I can get my One Shining Moment ‘jones’ via Youtube.

I’ve probably watched just about every year’s on Youtube to see the highlights. The Hoosiers’ win in 1987? Seen it. (Is it any wonder that my husband adores me? ;)

So, yeah. I was pissed when I heard that Jennifer Hudson would be singing the song for the montage. What about Luther?!! Evidently, the songwriter (who has, like, frickin’ RIGHTS to the song, or something?!), can determine who will be singing the song from year to year. I thought, though, that as the song’s Number One Fan, I should at least get a vote.

Jennifer Hudson? Sure, she can sing. I think she won some award or something, but... whatevs. Not to sound too much like Paula Abdul, but I was really worried that JayHud (isn’t that her nickname?) would ‘make the song her own’.

Or, basically, totally jack it up, like singers always do when they get the chance to sing the National Anthem. Because while you may be able to mess with ‘the bombs bursting in air’, you just absolutely should not be allowed to screw around with amazing lyrics like these:

“The ball is tipped,
and there you are.
You're running for your life.
You're a shooting star.”



Shut up. I know it by heart, alright?! Damn. I’m tearing up just a little. And yes, as a matter of fact, I *do* have it playing in the background as I write this. God bless iTunes.

But, as I mentioned before, I didn’t hate Jennifer’s version. Yeah, I prefer Luther, or even the original version (David Barrett… thank ya veddy much, Google). There were a few too many cut-aways, showing her singing in a recording studio (like, hello? We get it, CBS. New singer)…

Plus I really *did* want Butler to win. Because even if I’m not a huge basketball fan, I totally love to root for the underdog. Especially if they’re playing Duke. Because, um… obviously.

But I still watched it. And I watched it again on Youtube today. And I admit… I still love it.

It is just the right amount of cheesy.. the right amount of chills… and those three minutes?

Well, it’s just about the right amount of basketball for me. ;)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I couldn't get past the screetching! I gues I'm a Luther fan through and through.

Anonymous said...

I guess I could tolerate anyone singing if the RIGHT team had won! Something about picturing those yucky, spoiled Dookies during that touching song just ruins it for me.

But, me? I'm not bitter, not bitter at all. It woulda been so great if Butler had won!!! Instead of those meand ol' Devils. I ask...I mean really, who'd ya' rather have as your champion an ol' devil or a cute, cute Bulldog?!?!?