Thursday, April 22, 2010

An open letter to Ben and Jerry

Dear Ben & Jerry,

While I am, through and through, a Texas girl, and have grown up eating BlueBell homemade ice cream (genuflects)… and while no self-respecting Texan would be caught dead eating their peach cobbler with anything other than a generous helping of BlueBell Homemade Vanilla… I just have to say that I’ve always considered one particular flavor of your ice cream to be just this side of heaven.

Others can have their Cherry Garcia, or Chunky Monkey, or New York Super Fudgy Chunky Gooey Mess Chock Full of Nuts and Bolts (because that *is* an actual flavor, isn’t it?)…

My personal favorite would have to be Phish Food.

Phish Food, oh Phish Food! How I love you… how I crave your delicious creaminess… your smooth chocolate ice cream, your ribbons of soft and gooey marshmallow crème, and your caramel swirls. But what really sets you apart from the pack? Your pièce de résistance? It would have to be those chocolaty little fishes, complete with their little fishy details. Whose idea was that, by the way? Because those fish were a stroke of culinary genius.



Plus, they smile at me.


And I admit that I thought for the longest time that your spelling was just an ironic, fun little play on words. You know… a trademark thing. Yes, yes… I’ve since discovered that Phish is an …”American rock band noted for its musical improvisation, extended jams, exploration of music across genres and devoted fan base.” (oh yeah…straight outta Wiki)

So Ben and Jerry (may I call you Ben and Jerry?), I don’t often write fan letters to anyone other than our local weatherman, Jim… but for Phish Food, I will make an exception.

Your ice cream, while unable to predict cloudbursts or explain what makes a funnel cloud, brings joy to my life, and enhances my weekly viewing of the ‘Phish Food’ of network television… otherwise known as, ‘Glee’. (You know… they’re both refreshing, unprecedented, unexpected, and both make you want to burst into song, using your spoon as a microphone to belt out a few iconic 80’s tunes. Um… or is that just me?)

I just wanted to say thanks from the heart, and a chorus of hallelujahs from the taste buds…



Oh, and from the muffin top: “#*$% you, Phish Food!”

(Sorry about that.)

S

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

You crack me up!

Jen said...

We love Ben and Jerry's too. Especially since they fund raiser for my daugther. We love spending a day in the store testing on the flavor.

Jen

Anonymous said...

I guess you could call yourself a Phish Head...but not *that* kind.

Jackson Family said...

Too funny...I feel that way about Imagine Whirled Peace.

Unknown said...

OOOH Phish food is my fav too!!! I <3 the little chocolate fish :)

Deb said...

I am traveling to NY to see two Phish shows in June so I will tell the band hello and that you are a big pfan :)