Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Back in the day...

My nieces were visiting us this week. They are 13 and 14, and they spent the better part of a week cracking me up, looking at old pictures of me and their dad, laughing at our clothes and hair from (and I quote)... 'back in the day'.

What can I say? They are teenagers. Jonas Brothers loving, Twilight-addicted, texting teens. And they are also sweet, polite, and helpful. Not a meal went by that they didn't offer to help out. They didn't mind going to a kiddy movie with their little cousins. They played dress-up with my kids and their friends (complete with make-up and nail polish application... they have subsequently gotten my 9 year old hooked on mascara. Um... thanks, girls! ;) And in one afternoon, they schooled me on the show, "America's Got Talent". (*Sidenote: Turns out there are quite a few people in America that have a distinctly different defintion of the word 'talent'. Go figure.)

I have no doubt that at home they are typical, slobby teenagers, but when visiting us, they are an absolute delight.

This week, I learned quite a bit about the 'so cute!' Jonas Brothers (Kevin, Joe & Nick... see girls, I paid attention!). For example, bet ya didn't know that Joe's favorite color is blue. I also learned a couple of new slang terms ('That is SO fetch!'), and had the chance to get to just hang out with two young ladies whom I love very much, and don't get to spend nearly enough time with.

They humored me. They clued me in to what's 'cool' (Edward Cullen), and what's not (evidently, my choice in sunglasses. Shocking, I know!)

The 14 year old was telling me the other day that she wants to get the top part of her ear pierced (um... this might be news to her parents... sorry!) Not the upper part of her ear lobe, but the actual cartilage. (Ugh... shudder)

Wincing, I told her, "Honey, I knew somebody that did that back in high school, and they messed up their ear because it got infected. They had to have plastic surgery." (true story)

Her answer? "Yeah, Aunt Staci, but that was like, back in the 80's."

Oh yes. Back before we had antiseptic or penicillin for those nasty piercing accidents. Those were the good old days.

Back in the 80's... you know, when the Jonas Brothers hadn't been born yet, and it was New Kids on the Block that inspired us to tease up our bangs, cuff our jeans, and wear Swatch watches.

We looked 'totally awesome', and I have the pictures from 'back in the day' to prove it, girls. ;)

4 comments:

jen said...

Thanks for another blog, I had been waiting. Nothing cute to say, just happy for a new blog. . . we didn't have anything like this back in the day :)

Shanda Boatright said...

Too funny! We know we are old, when the reference 'back in the day' is being used by teenagers.

Makes me think of my grandma, she used to always say 'It seems like it was just yesterday when....' Sad, but I now know what she meant. When your younger time seems to stand still and now it seems like I am always looking for time!

Anonymous said...

That was one "fetch" blog my friend. ... Is that the correct usage? LOL.

Props to the NKOTB reference!

-- Kelli

Tara said...

Ooh, when I snuck off and got my cartilege pierced at the ripe old age of 17, my mother had a conniption when she found out and told me that very same (true) story!!! Lucky for me, I still have all of my cute little ear, no plastic surgery necessary. :) Ah, memories!