Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Demise of an appliance

I think I may have mentioned in previous posts that my boy has a sense of humor. A snarky, sarcastic little sense of humor. I’m really not sure where he gets that from.

Shut up.

Today, for example, I was ironing some clothes. Of course I was wearing my high heels and my pearls at the time, frying up some bacon, and waiting for Ward to get home from work so we could talk about the Beaver.

Shut up.

No really. I *was* ironing. I actually don’t mind ironing. I even iron t-shirts.

I don’t like wrinkles, and I don’t like to send the kids off to school in wrinkled clothes. It’s just my ‘thing’. I may have forgotten to feed them breakfast, but they look damn spiffy.

So anyway, I was ironing (yes...t-shirts), and Davis wanders by and says, “Is that a new iron?”

Me: “Yes. We had to get rid of the old one.”

D: “Why?”

Me: “It kept sparking when I unplugged it because the cord was coming apart from the plug.” (I have a tendency to pull it out of the socket by the cord… bad habit, I know)

So then Davis puts on this fake, sad little frown, and says in a quiet voice, “Awww, but he was so young.”

I busted out laughing at this point, and said, “Well we’d had it for about 5 years.”
(which, incidentally, is a long damn time when you yank it out by the cord)

Davis just shook his head, and said, “Only 5 years... but… I guess he was a lot older in iron years. Right, Mom?” *grin*

‘Iron years’. What a frickin’ crack-up. ;)

2 comments:

jen said...

That boy is just hilarious!!!

Glad you have his humor in writing. It will be something fun to look at when he gets older!!

Laurie K said...

My irons have a much shorter life span. I recently welcomed #23 into my home. Five years? Not around here.