Thursday, October 22, 2009

Your thoughts?

'The time has come,' the Walrus said, 'to talk of many things.'

Well, the Walrus may have been referring to shoes and ships and sealing wax, and potentially whether pigs have wings, but I am referring to something far more disturbing.

The time has come, I am guessing, for my children to change my name.

Trust me, I'm no stranger to having to change my name. I was born with one name which I sported for the first 26 years, and I have been called Staci, Stace, Priss (long story), Miss Jackson, and then for about two months after I got married, I was Miz Jac...Um.. Linson (my students, God bless 'em, tried very hard to remember my 'new name'). I have been Mrs. Linson (and still am, of course) and then finally, I became Mommy (one of my personal favorites. ;)

So, I knew it would come eventually. I just thought I had a few more years as 'Mommy'. Today, however, Davis has spent the entire afternoon calling me, 'Mom'.

And its the way he says it that took me by surprise. There is no cute little Texas drawl there... no 'Mo-om'. It's 'Mom', said by barely opening your mouth, and just opening and closing your lips together really quickly.

Every single time he's said something to me today, or asked me a question, its prefaced by 'Mom'. I asked him, 'When did you start calling me Mom?'

Davis: 'It's just more fun to say.' ('More fun for whom?!!' I wanted to ask.)

So I'm not sure it will last, and while there are certainly worse things he could call me, I'm not sure I'm ready to stop being called 'Mommy' by my 7 year old son.

Am I crazy? Why does this make me a little melancholy?

'...of cabbages and kings. And why the sea is boiling hot, and whether pigs have wings.'

2 comments:

Jen said...

It just is no fun when we realize that they are growing up and entering a new stage in their lives.
They don't ever ask us if we are ready for them to grow
up!

Amy said...

OMG I feel your pain. My little turd did this at like FOUR or something! I said I'm Mommy and he was "Whatevs, Mom". It's a rough day...