Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Count me in!

It’s time for the 2010 Census.

I got mine in the mail, and YES, I will do it. But seriously, people, it is confusing. I mean, the message that goes along with the form clearly states, “Please complete and mail back the enclosed census form TODAY.”

AND it was all in bold, so I knew they meant business. I felt compelled to follow the directions.

Because that’s what I do. I’m a rule follower.
It told me my answers were important. They are confidential. The Census Bureau NEEDS me to do this! I get it.

But then? Then when I go to fill out the blasted thing, it tells me specifically that it wants to count every person on April 1, 2010.

So by that logic, I am UNABLE to finish it and mail it in today!

Thanks for the befuddlement, federal government. (Hmmm... that rhymed a bit. Coincidence?!)


Phil: Just fill it out and mail it in.

Me: I can’t.

Phil: Want me to do it?

Me: NO! I’ll do it. On April 1st.

Phil: Why wait?

Me: Well, I’m supposed to count everyone in our house on April 1st. I can’t count anyone who is in jail, in the military, or away at school.

Phil: Um. Do you think one of us is going to get put in prison between now and April 1st?

Me: No.

Phil: Is someone else moving in that I don't know about?

Me: No. You know… just in case.

Phil: Just in case?



Me: Yeah. Just in case I decide to send Davis to military school before then.

2 comments:

Jen said...

You are too funny. Do you have it marked on your to do list for April 1st?

Amy said...

That's what I thought, but I went ahead and did it, hoping that I didn't just jinx one of us to die before April 1. Nobody died!!