Friday, March 19, 2010

It's on the calendar...

I have long been a calendar girl.

No, not one of *those*, silly. I just mean that I have always kept some type of calendar, daytimer, or planner.

I would go crazy marking things down, assigning categories, using different colors of markers for different events, and highlighters to accent the most important things that I MUST NOT FORGET!! What can I say? I like to highlight.

Now, I do that all electronically on my Palm, and it nicely categorizes, allows me to highlight (yes, *highlight*!) each child’s activities in different colors. It feeds into my organizational junkie tendencies. I have a system. I do so love systems.

And I love to write things down. I have a calendar that is specifically for my dinner menu. I love to make lists. I make lists for myself. I make lists for the kids, and I make lists for Phil (trust me, he LOVES them.)

Sometimes, if something is not on my list, but I do it anyway, I will later write it on the list just so I can CROSS IT OFF! It’s a sickness, I know.

And looking at my lists, or at my calendar, you will notice I have my very own ‘shorthand’. Smiley faces, asterisks, abbreviations… to anyone else looking at it, it might be practically indecipherable. Practically.



Last Saturday for instance, the calendar included the following action items:

1. Buy items for Davis to donate to the 2nd grade food drive at school. He asked me to buy packages of ‘Cup of Soup’ because he personally loves them. The class that donates the most earns a big prize.

2. At 11:00 a.m., we made plans to go to the Austin Family Fair in Zilker Park.

3. The movie, ‘Old Dogs’ was showing at 5:00 at the dollar movie. (it is funny, BTW)




To the casual observer, it appeared that my plans last Saturday included:

1. Get D-cups--- BIG PRIZE!!

2. 11:00--- AFFair in park


3. 5:00--- O.D.

Quite a different sort of Saturday. So it is easy to look at my planner and make assumptions. For example, that notation in my planner…

Guinea Pigs---Craigslist



I know that *might* make it look like I’m thinking about selling the kids’ pets on Craigslist…

So, um… anyway... ;)

1 comment:

Shanda Boatright said...

"Sometimes, if something is not on my list, but I do it anyway, I will later write it on the list just so I can CROSS IT OFF! It’s a sickness, I know."

I am SO glad I am not the only one who does this!