Thursday, March 11, 2010

Home Alone

I have long loved that little imp, Kevin McAllister, from the movie, 'Home Alone'.

Long before I had kids of my own. Long before I discovered that it could potentially be all too easy to leave a 7 year old behind when you go on vacation.

Provided, that is, that the 7 year old is not at your elbow every third second, asking, "When are we leaving?"

"Are we leaving now?"

"Can I take my DS?"

"Can I have a snack before we leave?"

"Are we leaving now?!!"




Now that I think about it, maybe they didn't leave him 'Home Alone' by accident.

Anyway, we love the movie. We quote it... "Bring me back something French!" We have it on DVD, and as soon as the holiday season hits, it's on our movie rotation.

And this weekend, we finally watched the sequel, 'Home Alone 2... Lost in New York'.

Now, for this one, I really had to suspend my disbelief. Because, okay, I can understand losing your kid once. Heck, I think we're all allowed a freebie. But TWICE? The same kid?!

I mean, I guess they *do* have about 7 kids in this movie. But if I were going to lose any of them, it would probably be the oldest one, Buzz. Talk about a pain in the ass... Eddie Haskell style.

Keep Kevin around... that kid is resourceful. What kid do YOU know that can outwit two bad guys, not once, but twice? All with a little help from a blowtorch, some firecrackers, a few paint cans, an old black and white movie, and a pet tarantula.

In the sequel, Kevin once again rigs up a series of elaborate traps, aimed at catching Daniel Stern and Joe Peschi, the fumbling burglars, who are admittedly, not the sharpest knives in the drawer.

I have never questioned the wisdom in letting my kids watch it, but I guess I should have been alert to the gleam in my son's eyes...

The clicking of those little wheels turning in his brain...

The signs that we're venturing into the danger zone...

Proof positive that we won't be leaving him at home anytime soon.



Davis: Mom, when we get home, I think I want to set some traps.

Me:
Oh really?

Davis (in all seriousness): Yeah. But I'll need a saw.

Me: Um... a saw?




Davis: Yeah. A chainsaw.

3 comments:

Jen said...

Pretty soon he is going to be finding reasons to be left home alone :)

That boy is tooo funny.

You need to post more on your blog, I missed it :)

Anonymous said...

Watch out for the Eddie Haskell references. Readers are going to think you are waaaay older than you actually are.

Staci said...

Nope... just love 'Nick at Nite'! ;)