Tuesday, March 2, 2010

The Winter of my Discontent

Okay, not exactly ‘discontent’… more like the ‘winter of my hibernation’. Or ‘winter of my anti-social behavior’.

I’m not sure what it is about January and February, but they turn me into a total bear.

A lazy, hungry, grumpy bear on the verge of hibernating. I don’t want to socialize. All I want is to stay home in my warm house, wearing my elastic waistband pajama pants, my old Rocky Mountain Texas Exes t-shirt, and my hella-ugly socks. (I sure paint a pretty picture, don’t I?)

I want to drink hot cocoa, read books, snuggle with my kids and hubby on the couch while we watch movies, and … not do much of anything else.

After re-grouping from the holidays, we all want a little down-time, I guess. But I can definitely say that in the last several weeks, I have not ‘connected’ with the outside world. I have been hibernating.

I have rarely gone out with girlfriends. Lunches? Nada. Chatting on the phone? Not so much. I have ducked in and out of the back door at preschool, still wearing my workout grubbies, with my hair stuck under a baseball cap.

I’m not sure why. Is it the winter doldrums? Is it SAD (as in Seasonal Affective Disorder)? Do I need to buy myself a damn light box?

Strangely enough, though, winter doesn’t bum me out. Even though I know this is my natural tendency to hole up in my house, and not emerge until the spring thaw… it doesn’t bother me.

I guess because I know that this, too, shall pass. I’ll snap out of the winter funk, and finally be able to pack away those ugly-ass socks that have become my security blankie.

And sure enough, I woke up today… March 2nd … to beautiful, sunny (albeit still COLD) skies, and I felt like calling everyone in my address book to touch base. To say, “I’ve missed you” or “Let’s get together”, or “That was one b*tch of a winter, huh?”



So, check your voicemail. And let’s do lunch. ;)

3 comments:

rusty said...

I'm exactly the same way in January and February, especially when the winter is like our current one has been. I just checked and don't have voicemail from you though... ;-)

Jen said...

Glad you were able to pack your comfy clothes and hang with me for a couple of cold days.

Bonnie said...

yeah, that sun was so nice today! Looking forward to seeing you again after hibernation. Maybe lunch NEXT week might work?