Saturday, September 27, 2008

BLT battle

It is beginning to appear that I have lost the battle, my friends. Which battle, you might ask? The battle to keep my house clean? Well yes, that one, too. But that’s not the one to which I’m referring. The battle to lose the last of the baby weight? Considering that my ‘baby’ is almost 4, I’m about to throw in the towel on that one, as well… but NO! That’s not the battle either. (Wow, what confidence boosters you all are! Jeez…)

I think I have lost the Halloween battle. I knew it was coming. I knew there would come a point when the kids would no longer ‘buy into’ my Halloween delusions, and would revolt against the ‘themed’ costumes. It was so much easier when they were younger, and they just had to wear what I made for them. Now, they have their own little opinions, dammit, and no amount of coercing is going to convince my children that we should be a BLT sandwich for Halloween.

Yes, you read that correctly. You know… two pieces of ‘bread’, with the bacon, lettuce and tomato. Count it up… it’s 5 things… we’re a family of 5… we could have been legendary in the neighborhood…(thanks, Katey, for the idea.) But nope. My own little bacon and veggies refused to go for it.

YOU try convincing a 4 year old little girl that she doesn’t REALLY want to be a princess for Halloween, and that she’d rather be a tomato. (oh, but the costume is soooo cute!) Even showing her the picture of the costume, and using that ‘high, excited’ voice that we mommies use when we’re trying to convince our child that going to the dentist is going to be “so much fun!” was not enough to sway the little ‘mater.

I knew it was a lost cause when I overhead Libby and Davis discussing costumes.

Davis: “I’m going to be a clone trooper for Halloween!”

Libby: “No, Davis. You can’t.”

Davis: “Yes, I am.”

Libby (sadly): “You have to be ‘Bacon Boy’.”

Davis: “NOOOOOOOOOO!!!!”

So, gone are my images of the 5 of us, ringing doorbells on Halloween night, gathering candy, all the while dressed as a tasty lunch entrĂ©e. And I guess, in the end, it works out. Phil and I will also be going to an ‘adults only’ costume party, and going as 2 slices of bread wouldn’t really have made much sense or been very comfortable. (That is, until drink #3… at that point, who cares?!)

I guess its just one more step in this big ol’ game of life. My kids want to choose their own costumes and they don’t want to ‘match’ each other… that’s okay. I’ll just put on my big girl panties and deal with it, and realize that they’re getting older. It was inevitable. And honestly, I can guarantee that I’m the only one in this household that is even remotely bothered by this. I just know Phil’s not all that broken up by the fact that I won’t have some cheesy costume for him to wear this year (that I later turn into our family Christmas card… sorry, honey!) He’s probably breathing a huge sigh of relief.

But I’m not giving up completely. There IS the possibility that we can come to some amicable agreement in terms of the Halloween costumes. But I do know that the cute little BLT sandwich was a battle in which I would not have been victorious. I could have forced the issue, but where’s the fun in that?

Now, a peanut butter, jelly, and banana sandwich, on the other hand…
;-)

No comments:


Blog Archive