Friday, January 29, 2010

Let's just say...

My girls have become wicked obsessed. And, no, I’m not suddenly from Boston.




Make that ‘Wicked’ obsessed.

Despite never actually having seen the musical, (did you SEE how much those tickets cost?!! Um, hello? *I* was lucky to get to go!) they know the songs by heart. And they know the story, for the most part.

My apologies if you’ve never seen it… it’s truly amazing. It is based on the book by Gregory Maguire about the early life of the Wicked Witch of the West (from the Wizard of Oz, of course. Not to be confused with the Wicked Witch of West Dorman, which is what I can morph into when someone leaves globs of toothpaste in their sink.)

Anyway, my girls want to listen to the ‘Wicked’ soundtrack almost exclusively in the van, and always ask, ‘What part of the play is this?’ ‘Can we hear Popular again?!’ ‘What is *this* song about?’

They’ve seen Youtube clips, memorized the songs, and we even got the chance to see a couple of the songs performed at an area talent show. Lately I have been listening to them ‘play’ Galinda and Elphaba (the original names of Glinda the Good Witch, and the Wicked Witch in the book and play.)

Their favorite song to sing together? “What is this Feeling?” If you haven’t seen it, it’s the song that Galinda and Elphaba sing to one another the first time they meet, and are paired up as roommates at school.

The gist of the song is that they hate one another… hate everything about each other… the feeling that they are feeling is loathing for one another.

Just a sampling of the lyrics…

‘Unadulterated loathing
For your face…
Your voice…
Your clothing.
Let’s just say… I loathe it all!
Every little trait, however small
Makes my very flesh begin to crawl.”



I know… nice song for my two sweet little girls to be singing to each other. ;)

Josie told me not to worry. They weren’t actually singing it to *each other*. They had some props.









A green one? Check. A pink one? Check. And notice their tongues sticking out at each other.

‘Wicked’ Cooties.

Pretty wicked cute, if you ask me.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

oh my gosh that is adorable! I <3 Wicked as well and am often found in my cubicle rocking out to defying gravity. I love how they got the cootie colors right :)