Monday, January 18, 2010

A Slushie kind of day...

Friends, family, blog devotees… because I love you (truly, I do!), I’m going to let you in on a little secret. It’s a little known deal. You might even call it ‘the insider’s scoop’. You can thank me later. Here goes…




Sonic has a happy hour. Everyday. And drinks and slushes are half price. Half price! Astonishing, isn’t it?

And… you’re welcome.





Huh? What do you mean you knew?! Um… what do you mean, “Everyone knows that!”?

Now I’m not exactly a stranger to Sonic. I *have* been there and had a tot or two. But I’ve just never been a big fan of their Diet Coke (which is, of course, the best measure of any establishment… okay, not really. My favorite Diet Coke place is Jack in the Box, and the food there is out and out terrible.) Anyway, the Diet Coke at Sonic tastes funky to me, and they put waaaay too much of their ‘special ice’ in it, so I’d pretty much written it off.

And we all know that I’m no stranger to Happy Hour (of a different variety). Yep. Just feel free to keep *those* comments to your own damn self.

But Sonic AND happy hour? Together? Who knew? Evidently, everyone but me.

A few weeks ago when I was at my mom’s house, my sister-in-law called to say she was coming over and wanted to know what kind of slushes she could bring the kids since it was ‘happy hour’ at Sonic.

My sis-in-law: What flavor slushie should I bring for the kids?

Me: I don’t know. They’ve never had one.

My sis-in-law: Never?

Me: No.

My sis-in-law (enunciating): A… Sonic… Slushie… Not ever?

Me: Um. No.

Her: That’s child abuse right there.

Okay, okay… she didn’t exactly *say* that, but I detected it in her voice over the telephone.

Well, Brandi, I have to tell you that we’re making up for lost time. A 50 cent slushie has become the treat of choice, and when I pick the kids up from school, I have two questions:

1. How was your day at school?

2. Okay, enough about that… what flavor are you going to try today?

So far, we’ve tried Cherry, Watermelon, Orange, Cherry, Blue Coconut, and Cherry (they really like Cherry), and Grape and Powerade are next on the agenda.

We've become quite the Sonic junkies. But with that, I *would* like to offer a few words of advice. Just some nuggets of wisdom that I’ve picked up from our recent pilgrimages to Sonic.

1. Remind your kids not to poke the sides of their cup with the straw. You'd never know it to look at them, but evidently those straws are solid steel construction and will go right through the side of a Styrofoam cup, spilling Blue Coconut slush all over everything.

(Don’t worry, honey… it cleans up pretty quickly when you jump out of the van in the nearest available parking lot, armed with napkins, antibacterial hand gel, and old socks that the kids have left under their seats.)

2. Ask for extra napkins. (See #1)

3. Drink your slushie s-l-o-w-l-y. There is nothing quite like driving down 620 with a serious case of slushie brain freeze, silently praying that you won't have to make any snap decisions. You know, like slamming on the brakes... or changing the station because Lady Gaga's 'Paparazzi' is on the radio yet again.

4. Be prepared to drink some random flavor of slushie that your child picked, and then decided that they “don’t really like it, and can I please have a drink of your Cherry slush?”

5. For 50 cents, it’s worth it just to buy the extra Cherry slush.




6. Trust me.

4 comments:

Wendy said...

I love days when Taylor gets up in time for me to make Happy Hour! I live off their unsweet ice tea. Tell your kids to try the lime, strawberry, and strawberry lime slushes. The strawberry slushes usually have chunks of real strawberry so beware of the clogged straw issue that may occur.

jen said...

Like you need another obsession with a beverage :}

Love the cherry limeade

Rob said...

and during happy hour, small drinks are cheaper than kids drinks. (kid's drinks aren't half price)

Kris with a K said...

Strawberry Lime slush with extra strawberries. because at my Sonic there is a high street value to strawberries behind the drive-thru, so the slushie 'makers' hoard them. and i want my slushie at least a little pink!

i just wish they'd leave out the half-lime after they squeeze in that precious, precious, fresh lime juice...that takes up valuable slushie volume in the cup!