Monday, January 4, 2010

Who could have possibly thought this was a good idea?

You may have seen it by now, but today when I was watching the news, there was a story about a couple in Georgia who were arrested for endangering their six children, ages 10, 11, 11, 12, 15 & 17.





Because they gave them all tattoos.




With a homemade tattoo gun.

And why did they do this, pray tell? “Cause the kids wanted ‘em.” (No joke. Check out the video on CNN, if ya don’t believe me.;)

All the children were tattooed on their hand with the homemade gun, which is made by using a ball point pen, a sharpened guitar string, a power supply, an electric motor, and wiring. Who knew?

Oh wait, PEOPLE IN PRISON know that!! And a few folks in Georgia, evidently.

The mother went on to say, “I just don’t understand how this has got blowed up so big! It’s just a itty-bitty cross.” (And yes, she *did* say ‘blowed’. That part of the interview just blowed my mind. ;)

But the part that *really* threw me for a loop? When the investigator that was being interviewed said, “And they used the SAME needle on all 6 children.” Like *that* was the most shocking detail.

Um, yeah… call me silly, but if you’re inbred enough, trashy enough, and stupid enough to tattoo your children, I’m thinking that hygiene and safety are not your biggest concerns.

Plus, HOW do you think this conversation went down? “Hey kids… while Daddy has out the fancy tattoo machine, finishing up Cousin Hannibal’s ‘Killah’ tattoo before he heads off to the state pen, how’s about we all get us some matchin’ ink?!”

Heck, my kids hate to even have their clothes match for Christmas pictures. And then, only for the duration of the time we’re actually at the studio. PLUS, from the minute we get into the car to drive to the pediatrician for a check-up, I hear this non-stop… “Mommy, am I getting a shot? I don’t want a shot. Please ask them if I have to have a shot RIGHT when we get there. Do you think I’m supposed to get a shot? I really don’t want a shot! I don’t! I don’t!” Not really sure that my boy would have waited around for his turn to get a tat.

The interview on CNN concluded with these sage words from the mother: “We don’t think we did anything wrong! The kids don’t think we did anything wrong! I just don’t understand it. It’s crazy!”

Crazy? Wow, she took the words right out of my mouth.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

OMG this cracked me up. Unreal!
Keep it going.

Love ya
Daph