Saturday, January 30, 2010

Letter writing is a lost art.

This is the letter that Davis brought home yesterday for his weekly letter writing activity that all the second graders do. Sometimes he writes to Mommy… sometimes he writes to Daddy… and lately he’s been writing to his big sister. (you may have to click on the picture to be able to read it)




I love this week’s letter. LOVE IT. Why? Oh, I don’t know… maybe the phrase he selects to describe the 2nd valentine he had crafted. ‘Not so much’.
I actually laughed out loud at that because it is pretty much EXACTLY something I would say.

You know, like… ‘The blog that I wrote on Monday was funny, as well as thought-provoking. Tuesday’s blog? Not so much.’ Of course, that is just an example, as I’m pretty positive I’ve never written anything that is both funny AND thought-provoking. You can’t have everything, people.

And I love how he signs it, ‘Your bro’. Like she might not be sure who this ‘Davis’ character is. Um… okay, that may actually be true. Or maybe it is just a not-so-subtle reminder to her… ‘LOVE your bro’. As in, ‘Don’t be a hater and rat me out when I… well… ever. Just stop ratting me out.’

And for the record, it *does* say bro, even though it looks like it could potentially say ‘bra’. Because that would be waaay too weird if he had written ‘Love your bra’ to his sister. (And I’m getting the shakes just typing that sentence.) Honestly though, I wouldn’t mind getting a letter from someone that compliments my personal style as they sign off. ‘Love your shirt,’ or maybe ‘Killer open toe heels!’


I can only picture how stoked he must have been when his teacher told him that the class was making Valentine cards for REAL-LIFE SOLDIERS! I’d give anything to know what he’d written in the cards.



Dear Army Guy,

I am your #1 fan. When I grow up, I want to be just like you.

I drew two army men for you on the front of the card. The first one is some of my best work. The second one? Not so much.

My teacher said that all of our cards needed to say ‘Happy Valentine’s Day’ and have a heart somewhere on it. So…


Happy Valentine’s Day. And here is a heart.






I hope you like the bayonet I drew through it.



Love your camouflage,
Davis

3 comments:

Jen said...

I was giggling at the "not so much" part of his letter. It is so funny when our kids pick up on what we say.

Shanda Boatright said...

This is SO sweet, I love it.

You never realize how much they are listening to what we say until something like this.

Kris with a K said...

Cyclops,

send me your email. I have a letter to share with you!

Kris

goldietex@aol.com